Worldwide Royalty Collection Societies

This is a table I come back to time and time again that shows transparently the different societies that gather Performance Royalties (col 2), Mechanical Royalties (col 3) and/or Phonographic/Neighboring Rights (col 4).


Source: Bemuso.comĀ 

Many articles on the internet talk about registering your songs with your Performing Rights Organisation (“PRO”) because you are the songwriter and should earn performance royalties (example: PRS in the UK, ASCAP in the USA).

However, very few mention in the same breath of the article that if you also own the sound recording, namely, you self-release a single/EP/album, then you should equally be registering your song(s) with societies that collect mechanical royalties (such as PPL in the UK and Soundexchange in the USA.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Start a Blog at

Up ↑